Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Spicing up Sweet with Sour

I once thought that sweet and salty or sweet and sour foods were odd combinations, but my tastes have changed and now I'm convinced that they're the best!

If I said the words watermelon and onion to you, would you cringe? These were the major ingredients in a salad I ate in a Swedish restaurant yesterday. And it was fabulous. The recipe is similar to the one my mother always makes with cucumbers, vinegar, a smidgeon of oil, a hint of sugar. This one also had a little bit of spearmint, and was served with spicy arugula.

It reminded me that my characters need a little twist of something different to make them unique, fresh, and that my plots could use the same treatment. Just something for you writers to think about.

Here's a stab at the recipe -- season to taste.

Watermelon Salad
recipe serves 2

2 cups Ripe Watermelon - 1/2 inch cubes of seedless melon
1/2 red onion - thinly sliced and quartered
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Olive oil ---- a splash or two
Spearmint - fresh is best, if dried - add to dressing
Arugula

Prepare the dressing - vinegar, sugar, oil and dried mint. Cut up fruit. Toss everything together and chill. Toss before serving in a cereal bowl with undressed arugula on a side plate.

This is very low calorie and good for you.

While I'm munching, think I'll make notes on my heroine - who could use a bit of vinegar.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the blog!!! You had me at the apple pie picture!

I like how you combine the craft of writing and food. IMO, it goes hand in hand!

~Talina

Margie said...

Deni
The salad sounds great! Really enjoyed your blog and like Talina, I like how you've combined food with writing.

Very clever. Although I'm a frustrated cook so I don't incorporate it much into my writing, but I write about teens, so it all works out. Pizza anybody?

D'Ann said...

I can't picture myself eating that salad, but it was an interesting post, and I like the way you use food for character metaphor.

Deni Cary Phillips said...

Thanks for the comments, Ladies! More to come --